27 Jun Common Core: Ushering in Sodom
Last year I wrote an article entitled “Resurrecting Sodom”[i]. In it I chronicled seven events in our nation’s history that I believed were leading us down a path that would end at Sodom’s front door. The advent of Common Core State Standards has made it advisable to revisit this subject.
The seven events listed in the original article were:
1. 1954 The Johnson Amendment passed, which compromised the voice of the church by threatening their non-profit status if they engaged in political speech.
2. 1962/63 Prayer was taken out of schools.
3. 1964 SIECUS (Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States) was founded by Dr. Mary S. Calderon, former Medical Director for the Planned Parenthood Federation. In the aforementioned article I cited a number of shocking guidelines for children ages 5 to 8. These guidelines ushered in government-controlled morality that eroticized our children and presented deviant behavior as normal.
4. 1970 Governor Reagan signed into law the first no fault divorce laws, contributing to the decay of the family unit.
5. 1972 Roe v. Wade made abortions legal, devaluing the sanctity of life.
6. 1979 The Department of Education was established by President Carter.
7. 1987 The Supreme Court struck down Louisiana’s “Creationism Act”. This resulted in government-run schools censoring creationism, which gave evolution free reign to reduce student’s belief in God to a myth.
Although I mentioned it at the time, the part the entertainment industry has played in demoralizing and eroticizing our culture should have been expanded upon. Today such shows as “Sister Wives” (which portrays polygamy in an acceptable light instead of throwing the polygamists into jail) and a list of sexually explicit shows, such as Two and Half Men, continue the normalization of moral decay and deviant life styles. These shows stay on the air because we have become desensitized to the things that would have shocked us a decade or two ago. Back then a quick click of the remote would have discouraged television stations from producing such shows. Today, these shows are being recorded when missed, and so they have proliferated instead of disappeared.
The entertainment industry’s programming and all the seven items listed above only represent elements of the perfect storm that is about to be unleashed on an unsuspecting America. The final blow to our sense of morality may very well come in the form of Common Core State Standards. Many Americans mistakenly believe these standards have been created to elevate our academic standing to a more competitive level worldwide. Distressed parents who realize that in many instances Johnny can’t read when he graduates high school have swallowed the bait that government can fix the problem government created. And what will they get in the end? Not only won’t Johnny be able to read, he won’t be able to do any kind of useful math. Worse – he won’t care because he’ll be too intent upon catering to his hedonistic pleasures instead of being concerned about being a productive member of society.
If you doubt what I’m saying, purchase three of the books on the Common Core suggested reading list: The Bluest Eye, The Black Swan, and Dreaming in Cuban. These books glorify rape, incest, sexual violence, and pedophilia. Although the authors contend that they have a more compassionate objective, just the opposite is true. They will recruit rapists, pedophiles and all types of sexually criminal deviants. While some schools have taken the noble step of banning these books, the eroticism in Common Core together with its twin sister SIECUS will rob our children of their innocence and pervert their sense of morality – all while their parents are busy making a living.
Although I have never claimed to be a prophet, I will make a prediction. As a result of silencing the church’s voice; trusting our children over to the state that has dumbed them down and eroticized them; censoring every mention of God from the public arena; contributing to the decay of the family; and reducing God to a myth, within the next dozen years or so we will be on a level moral ground with Sodom.
Then Ruth Graham’s statement made several years ago: “If God doesn’t soon bring judgment upon America, He’ll have to go back and apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah!” may prove to be prophetic.
Additionally, we will be testing John Adams’ statement: “Our Constitution was made only for a moral and just people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”
To sum up: when America ceases to be moral and just, it is likely that our government will fail and we will subject ourselves to the judgment of God. Welcome to the new Millennia, where men exalt themselves above God and caused the fall of the best nation ever conceived by the minds of men and the spirit of God. The real tragedy in all of this is that we allowed it to happen on our watch.